Monday 11 May 2009

Theme Tune Week - Day One

We all like a good theme and the theme for this week is... themes! Aha, do you see what I did there? I took the word theme in the sense of a unifying idea (or motif, if you will) and used it in the sense of theme to apply to a musical composition. I've also now used the word "theme" so much that it's starting to sound weird. Theme, theme, theme, theme...

"So, what sort of musical theme did you have in mind?" I hear you ask in a desperate attempt to bring my rambling mind back to the topic in hand. Well, I'll tell you - televisual and filmic themes, of course. This week, I'm going to be singling out some of those unsung heroes of the musical world whose work you may be very familiar with yet whose names may well be unknown to you (unless you know it, that is).

Will our first contestant please sign in?

Neal Hefti

He's not as prolific as some of the other people that are getting a mention this week but he deserves a place on the top theme composers lists for two reasons. The first is this:-



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syt8qQUbzVc

The second, and to my mind most important, reason is this:-



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P46bQNssQWQ

Classics both, I'm sure you will agree. So that's our starter for ten. Who will be next up? There's only one way to find out. Come back again tomorrow, same Nick time, same Nick channel...

Dinner, dinner, dinner, dinner, din - Bald-eeee!

6 comments:

Anna Russell said...

Na na na na na na na na - obviously, I now have that stuck in my head. *goes to find crime to solve*

kapgaf said...

That's how Batman's mum calls him in for his tea : Dinner, dinner, dinner, dinner, dinner, dinner, dinner, dinner, Batmaaaaaaaan.

Themes like a thilly idea to me !

That Baldy Fella said...

Anna - Quick, RussellWoman, to the Scotsmobile!

kapgaf - Ah, I'm glad someone brought up the "dinner" joke. It's illegal not to, you know.

Lady Euphoria Deathwatch said...

Hi Baldy Fella,

Both good theme songs to start theme week, even if you did pick theme songs that tend to stick in ones head.

Euphoria

Anonymous said...

When I first scanned your title I read 'Theme Tuna Week - Day One'...

...sorry.

Oh, love the Batman...of course.
;-)

That Baldy Fella said...

Lady E - Well, I'm just evil that way, really. Mwuhahahahahahaha!

Sweet Cheeks - I'm not even sure what a themed tuna would be. Hmmm....