Tuesday 10 February 2009

People Are Strange

(Yep, you've now either got The Doors song or the Echo and the Bunnymen cover version from the Lost Boys in your head. Sadly, this has nothing to do with the rest of this post.)

Thanks to a whizzy and snazzy type site that tells me all manner of factage about my blog viewership (yes, I do know what colour underwear you're wearing and when the last time was that you changed them and, yes, four days is too long), I've come to the realisation that Google searches can throw up some pretty odd results. Not all the time - some of them are pretty straightforward...

Evangeline Lilly - Well, I did mention her once over here
Patrick Stewart - Yep, he got a mention here
That rug really tied the room together dude - Whole blog title so making sense so far
Pronoun trouble Looney Tunes - Also got a whole blog all to itself

No, they all make sense. It's the stranger phrases that throw up questions as to what people are even looking for:-

Full name of foreign - Full name of foreign what? Just the full name of foreign stuff in general? That's going to be a fairly comprehensive search.
Attack in Lewisham over snowballs - Look, I know knife crime in South London is fairly high but seriously? An attack over snowballs? You're supposed to attack with the snowballs...
Nack men arund you - Well, there's a "Nack" in the blog title so I guess that's what brought them here. Not sure where this is going, though...
Pichers of the nack it bruthers bands - OK, maybe there's some sort of theme coming in to play here but it's seems to be illiterate hillbillies searching for pictures of my brother's band in the nip. I'm don't reckon they'd like what they find if that were to be successful...
Male stories - I'm not even going to touch that one

So what has this shown us? The frankly entirely expected revelation that people use that there intarwebs to look for some random old crap and are rewarded with being pointed in the direction of random old crap - just not necessarily the random old crap they were originally looking for.

When you're strange, faces come out of the rain...


6 comments:

Belle said...

So you can imagine what 'cock' brought over to mine then...?

Rachel said...

Thank you for providing me with an office activity for the day (other than working, of course).

Vic said...

My biggest search phrases still revolve around Hee Haw. Did you have Hee Haw over there? If so, I'm sorry.

That Baldy Fella said...

Belle - Aha, so dirty language = increased readership. That's where I've been going wrong....

Rachel - Thank you for choosing Work Distractions 'R Us. We hope you find your waste of time satisfactory. Thank you, come again!

Vic - No, that one passed us by. I'm guessing that's probably a good thing by the sound of it...

Pearl said...

No! I'm not doing this! Between writing and blogging I've no longer time for personal hygiene!
Pearl

That Baldy Fella said...

Good plan. I think that this way, madness may lie...