Tuesday 9 June 2009

Kate

She has a smile that lights up the room, accompanied by an evil glint in her eye that always promises mischief. She has a laugh that's described as "memorable" but one that is impossible not to join in with (she always makes me laugh). She has two lovely children whom she adores with all her heart and would do absolutely anything for, and woe betide anyone who might hurt them in any way. (It should also be noted that her sons can be referred to collectively as "The Baldy Fella Fan Club" - and quite right, too.)

She is my best friend and has been pretty much since we met. She was the first person I met at university nearly 14 years ago and she set the tone for our friendship by getting me to fill in her registration papers for her before suggesting we adjourn to the nearest bar (well, she did have a stinking hangover to overcome - hair of the dog, it's the only way). She somehow has managed not to be annoyed to death by me over the years.

She's one of the strongest people I know (and yet doesn't seem to realise this) and is also extremely vulnerable at the same time. She has a fear of balloons being popped near her (which does make children's birthday parties a slightly more stressful time, especially when someone starts balloon modelling) and prefers to be mildly sedated while flying. She doesn't use the words "toilet", "lounge" or "settee".

She is gorgeous, she is funny and, as well as being my best friend, she's now my girlfriend.

Her name is Kate and I'm all hers. Well, at least until we get older and are so irritated by every tiny habit that we have that we want to stab each other in the eyes as soon as one of us breathes (ah, and who said romance was dead?).


9 comments:

Diane said...

Awwwww.

My best friend is a guy. But I SO don't want to be his girlfriend.

I need to make some new friends, clearly.

Congrats to you and Kate!

Jessi said...

Being the hopeless romantic that I am - YAY!!!!!!!!

(Is this the same gal you spoke of before, the one you had mad chemistry with but couldn't be with for whatever reason... or maybe I'm delirious with low blood sugar and need to eat lunch...?)

Anonymous said...

That is like the sweetest thing ever!!! ♥ Good luck to you both ♥

kapgaf said...

Go for it, revel in it, shake, rattle and roll in it. No half-arsed monkeying around. Not only that but now you can say "Kiss me, Kate" and be serious!

Pearl said...

Congratulations! I think you might be a helluva catch...

Pearl

Belle said...

I don't remember you introducing her to me for approval?

That Baldy Fella said...

Diane - Well, I don't know if it'll work for everyone. We're just lucky, I think. (And thanks!)

Jess - Cheers! No, different girl (although she was mentioned in that other post, albeit not by name - Kate was the other drinking partner!)

BarbiePhobia - Don't worry, I'll be back to stupid and gross things next time! (And thanks!)

kapgaf - Nope, it's fully arsed, I'd say. Dammit, I can't believe I hadn't thought of that one - I'll be rectifying that tonight.

Pearl - Aw, shucks, you'll make me blush (you're right, of course...)

Belle - You were passed out from all those cocktails, I think...

erin said...

Everyday she wears the same thing, I think she smokes pot, she's everything I want, she's everything I'm not...

I love that song.

And congrats. She sounds lovely.

That Baldy Fella said...

Yep, it's a winner. Thanks! I think she is...