Monday 29 March 2010

Underrated Pleasures

Some would say that they are guilty pleasures but I think underrated pleasures is a better way of putting it as you shouldn't feel bad about something that gives you pleasure (stop it, minds out of the trousers, people). They are the things that you don't think get enough attention - unjustly and undeservedly so. Here are a few off the top of my shiny head for starters...

Walnut Whips

No, this isn't a kinky thing. I am, of course, talking about one of these bad boys:-


I was utterly obsessed with them as a child, even though I wasn't particularly fond of walnuts. So, the walnut on top always got picked off and thrown in the bin so that the chocolatey cone with the whipped fondant filling could be swiftly demolished by my childish chompers (and no doubt suitably smeared over fingers and fizzog). Gorgeous Girlfriend bought some the other day and I was instantly transported back to Nana and Grandad's kitchen on a Thursday afternoon after school. Mmmm, walnut whips.

Adam And Joe on BBC 6Music

I always liked their TV shows but radio is the medium in which they've really come into their own (and it was one of their radio shows talking about underrated rather than guilty pleasures that set off this train of thought). They're silly and funny and the fact that they have been friends since they were at school together and still seem to really make other laugh hysterically is always endearing. They're also both extremely musically talented as proved by their regular feature "Song Wars" in which they pick a theme and each compose a song on it for the following week's show which is then put to the listener vote. Sadly, they're on hiatus at the moment as Joe is making a film and, with the imminent demise of BBC 6Music, it looks possible that they might not be back on the radio as a duo anytime soon. Which would be a crime.

The Larry Sanders Show

Another one of those shows that got shown over here in dead of night slots (both on BBC and on ITV4 when they did a run of it a couple of years back) and never really got the attention it deserved. Sure, Larry himself is not a particularly appealing character as such but the show is made by the dream team of Jeffrey Tambor as "Hey Now!" Hank Kingsley and Rip Torn as Artie the producer. Fine comic actors both and at the top of their game in this series.


So, what are the things that you love what people should pay more attention to?

4 comments:

Cheeseboy said...

I loved a little show on NBC called Freaks and Geeks. It was hilarious and jump started the careers of James Franco, Seth Rogan and Jason Segal, as well as the producer Judd Apatow.

I also think mangos are underrated. Most people don't go to the grocery store and consider buying a mango, but when they do buy one on a whim, they are never disappointed.

Your blog is terrific, btw.

That Baldy Fella said...

Never seen that one, might have to track it down as I've been enjoying Judd Apatow's film work (not necesarily everything he's produced, mind).

Not overly a fan of the mango, I have to say. I wouldn't object to it in a smoothie but don't think I'd go out of my way to eat one.

Why, thank you! Most kind, sir.

MJenks said...

I'm not a fan of walnuts, either...but I must, somehow, somewhere, find these walnut whips.

Also, there's a sports-themed talk show over here in my local area that is "Adam and Joe". Even if you like sports, they are unlistenable. Imagine my confusion.

Easter candy is my guilty, underrated pleasure. So much attention is on Halloween that the Easter candy gets kind of swept under the rug.

Maple cream eggs are divine.

That Baldy Fella said...

They are splendid. Maybe they're just an English thing, though...

Nope, this Adam and Joe definitely makes me chuckle.

Ah yes, Easter on the way....