Friday 15 June 2018

Ladies And Gents, This Is The Moment You've Waited For

If this blog were a musical, this would be the point of the post where the introductory number begins to swell, the camera pans and your humble baldy narrator swings into view, opens his mouth and bursts forth into song. Don’t worry, this won't be happening for two reasons. Firstly, this is a written blog so it’s literally impossible for me to start singing at you through it (do you not get how this whole reading thing works?). Secondly, even if that were possible, I am an absolutely atrocious singer with a voice that sounds like someone is committing murder against the very concept of music.

Despite this, I do love a good musical. Preferably something a bit weird or sci-fi-ish (Little Shop Of Horrors and Rocky Horror Picture Show, I’m looking at you) but I’m not averse to a good, old-fashioned, full-on cheesy musical. Which brings us to today’s post…

The Greatest Showman
In A Nutshell:- The life of PT Barnum told via Hugh Jackman and song
Any Good? I’m not gonna draw out the verdict on this one - I loved it. It had me hooked right from the off and kept me caught up in it right to the end. Yes, it’s very much an unashamedly old school musical (and I’m sure that it’s historically dubious) but that is nothing to be ashamed of. 

The last high profile musical was La La Land which received rave reviews largely across the board. I wasn’t won over by it. In fact, I found it boring. The story lost my interest well before the end but, most importantly, the songs were just dull and did not stick in my head. La La Land is a musical for people who are either ashamed of liking or out-and-out don’t like musicals. The Greatest Showman is a musical for people who love musicals and is all the more joyful for it.

The songs are catchy and the musical numbers are staged with an infectious energy. I knew within a few numbers that I’d be listening to the soundtrack repeatedly once the film had finished (a prediction that has since proved to be true). If you like musicals, you’ll love it. If you don’t like musicals, well, give it a try anyway as I know a couple of people who aren’t big musical fans and were completely won over buy it. It could be that it works at the moment as a reaction to our current grim and gritty times where the political landscape is immensely depressing and even superhero films can be dark and horrible (yes, DC Comics, I’m talking about you). Whatever the reason, why not enjoy a film that’s designed to make you tap your toes and smile? Exactly. Now pass me my top hat and cane…




No comments: