Friday 8 June 2018

Film Review Week - Day 5

And so the end is near, and now I face… well, Friday, really. Let’s finish of the week with a brief round up of a few other flicks what has passed in front of the peepers and been lobbed in the lugholes.

The Square
In A Nutshell:- Meandering Swedish satire on modern art
I’m in two minds about this one. I watch quite a few foreign language films as you tend to get some intriguing that wouldn't come out of the Hollywood system (and I am occasionally very poncey too). This did hold my attention through to the end and had some amusing and occasionally disturbing moments but I’m not sure if it all came together for me. I preferred the director’s other film Force Majeure (examining the fallout from a father who, at the moment of a suspected avalanche, abandons his family, only for the avalanche not to hit).

Radius
In A Nutshell:- Man awakes from car crash to discover he kills anything that gets near him
In a similar fashion to the above, I also like a good low budget indie film (appeals to the former filmmaker within me). This one has an intriguing concept and starts well enough but is hampered by some sub-par acting and a less interesting conclusion (despite the addition of a twist to try and spice things up). Sadly, not one I would recommend (not a bad film but doesn’t live up to the premise).

Everything Beautiful Is Far Away
In A Nutshell:- A boy, a girl and a disembodied robot head wander a post-apocalyptic desert landscape
Another low budget indie film but this one I really enjoyed. It looks great and the three person cast (well, two people and a voiceover) do a good job of carrying this through its brief running time. It’s a film where very little happens but it’s charming enough to carry that off.

The Greasy Strangler
In A Nutshell:- I don’t even know where to start
This is the first film by the same director of An Evening With Beverly Luff Linn (which you can read about here). I genuinely don’t know how to describe this. It’s weird, revolting and almost deliberately designed to be nearly unwatchable. Something kept me watching through to the end, though, as there is a part of me that perversely enjoys willfully repugnant cinema. It’s provoked in me a similar reaction to Meet The Feebles, Peter Jackson’s filthy version of the Muppets. Would I recommend it? I don’t think I could in good conscience recommend it to anyone (which may well be a recommendation in a weird way for some of you, I guess!)

Alright, that’s enough film-y chat for this week. Go on, go off and have a weekend. I’ll hang out here and see you back next time. Can you switch off the light on your way out? Ta.





No comments: