Wednesday 12 February 2020

Comedy Archeology - On The Big Screen (The 80s)

The intention with these posts was to uncover the compacted layers of comedy that I just take for granted as the foundations of my sense of humour (such as it is). With that in mind, let’s go back to the time when I was an impressionable youth taking in cinematic purveyors of mirth that are so ingrained in me that I now just assume that everyone must have seen them (and prompting a sort confused-dog-tilting-head-to-the-side look from me when I discover that people haven’t). These are the formative ones, the ones I watched as they came out (and have watched repeatedly since) and that I was old enough to appreciate. There are plenty of other 80s comedy films that I watched as I got older but these were the ones that kickstarted my love for comedy films.

Ghostbusters
“I collect spores, moulds and fungus”
Why Do I Love It So? It’s the perfect storm for a young nerdy lad like me - a special effects laden, apocalyptic ghost story that is chock full of genuinely funny moments. This film was the springboard for a number of other films featuring the talents of Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis and Rick Moranis that I would also find great love for (The Blues Brothers, Little Shop Of Horrors and Groundhog Day being just a few) but it’s a film that lends itself to endless rewatching and massive quoteability.

Back To The Future
“Roads? Where we’re going, we don’t need… roads.”
Why Do I Love It So? It’s falling into that nerdy Venn diagram, this time with time travel (Doctor Who fan since the age of four so always drawn to time travel). It’s also another one that’s anchored by solid humour and strong comedy performances from Michael J Fox, Lea Thompson and, of course, Christopher Lloyd in what is unquestionably his best and most defining performance (to my mind anyway; I was just that bit too young for Jim from Taxi). It’s another film that rewards rewatching as there are plenty nice little background gags and callbacks throughout the film to the two different time periods - something that would be one of the key things I enjoy about Arrested Development (in the original run anyway).

The Princess Bride
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.”
Why Do I Love It So? Probably the first meta comedy that I really got into with the framing device of the grandfather and grandson commenting on and interrupting the flow of story. It also adheres to the key successful elements of the two films above - strong characterisation, genuinely funny moments and lines and that indefinable rewatchability / quotability factor. It’s chock full of great performances from people with good comedy instincts and I don;lt think Rob Reiner gets quite as much recognition as a comedy director as he deserves.

Bill And Ted’s Excellent Adventure
“Be excellent to each other and party on, dudes!”
Why Do I Love It So? How could you not? It absolutely nails main characters who are dumb as a bag of hammers but utterly lovable nonetheless and has a sense of cheerfulness and energy that is almost impossible not to get swept along with. Plus it’s another time travel comedy so I’m always going to love one of those. (I’m including Bill And ted’s Bogus Journey in with this which was less well received but I still love; however, it was released in 1991 so I can't officially list it as an 80s influence).

A selection of stone cold 80s classics that are firmly wedged in my comedy brain, there. Hmm, if today was the 80s, I wonder what could be next…





No comments: