Wednesday 16 January 2019

UnResolutions

Traditionally, I’ve never really been one for the New Year’s resolution. For me, there’s something about making a prescriptive “thou shalt” or “thou shalt not” that is more likely to make my brain go “well, screw you, I bloody will/won’t”. I’m definitely not doing Dry January, I can tell you that for starters. I’d like to say that it’s for the altruistic reason of ensuring that our already struggling scene is maintained and not damaged by unnecessary abstinence but we all know that’s not the reason.

I do get the whole concept of using the New Year as a chance to kickstart yourself again after the indulgences and excesses of the festive period so, with that in mind, here are some things I’m going to attempt more of for 2019.

Read More
Because reading is great. I already read quite a bit but I’ve noticed over the last few months that I've spent more time on my commute watching stuff on my tablet than reading. There’s nothing wrong with that but I do love reading and need to remind myself of that. I’m also going to qualify it slightly - specifically, I’m going to try and read more books. I’m also going to read solely for pleasure, meaning that if I’m not enjoying a book, I’m not going to persevere with it. There are so many books out there that I want to get through that it really is a waste of my time to carry on with something I don’t like. 

I’m also going to try and branch out a bit. My preference is for sci fi, fantasy, humour or weird (something that doesn’t neatly fit into any one genre) but it’s good to try out new things. I recently read What A Carve Up by Jonathan Coe on the recommendation of The Brother and thoroughly enjoyed it - not something I necessarily would have picked up off my own bat.

Write More
I’d like to try and blog every weekday at least this year (no bugger reads blogs at the weekend). Will I have enough to say? Well, that’s always the eternal struggle, isn’t it? Outside of that, I’d like to spend more time writing for myself. I’m currently working my way through Wonderbook: The Illustrated Guide to Creating Imaginative Fiction by Jeff VanderMeer and it’s a “how to” writing book that really speaks to me. 

Exercise
Yes, yes, I know this is the traditional one that everyone goes for in January but I’m in my forties and lead a sedentary office-based life much of the time (with occasional visits to pub-style establishments outside of that). I’ve got to make more of an effort. I’ve started by getting off the train at a stop further away from the office and walking for half an hour and will build up from there. Don't worry, I’m not going to turn into one of those people who suddenly discovers exercise late in life then won't stop banging on about it as if no one else has ever done it before. No one wants that.

So not resolutions then but desires, suggestions, aims for 2019. Let’s see if I just repost this next January with the dates changed, shall we?





No comments: