Friday 25 January 2019

TV Comedy Tie-In Books - The Script Book

Let’s round off this selection of posts with the books that, for a time, I was drawn to the most. Back in the day, there was a drive in me to make films and, to make a film, you need a script. I devoured every film script that I could but, being that I was also a big, old comedy nerd, I was drawn to the comedy script book as well. As mentioned, while I did enjoy having the complete scripts for Monty Python (largely because at ten time they came out I didn't have copies of the third or fourth series so this was new material to me), the books themselves paled in comparison to others that I was to collect over the years. Let’s pick out some of the top ones here.

The Hitch Hiker’s Guide To The Galaxy: The Original Radio Scripts
The eagle-eyed amongst you may have spotted that I am cheating slightly in including this is a discussion of TV tie-in books but I’m going to allow it because a) the scripts are pretty close to the TV version too; b) it’s a splendid example of what a script book should be like; and c) it’s my blog, my rules, I can do what I bloody well like so yah boo sucks to you.
Why’s It Good:- Other than the fact that it’s Hitch Hiker’s and you get to see not only the dialogue that Douglas Adams but some of the amusing stage directions which aren’t replicated on air, this book scores highly for two important reasons - it contains a number of lines that were cut from the finished programme and each episode ends with a selection of footnotes about the writing and making of the episode by Douglas Adams and Geoffrey Perkins (the producer). Highly recommended for anyone who’s a fan of Douglas Adams.

The League Of Gentlemen: Scripts And That
Why’s It Good:- Containing the scripts of all three original series (and the Christmas special), this 600 page effort also has facsimiles of handwritten notes, behind the scenes photos and deleted scenes making it good value for money (and extremely heavy in the hardback version).

Father Ted: The Complete Scripts
Why It’s Good:- A masterclass in TV script books. A late but final version of the script is published here so there are differences to what was on screen. Each episode has an introductory note by each writer and then footnotes are scattered throughout each script, explaining, clarifying or highlighting differences between script and screen (including the reveal of Mrs Doyle’s first name early on in the first series which would have robbed them of a running gag later on in the show). If you love Father Ted, this is well worth a read.

So over the last few days, you’ve had a  brief overview to some of my personal highlights when it comes to TV comedy books. I didn't even get onto any of the mock autobiographies. Ah, there’s always another time...






No comments: