Monday 14 January 2019

2018 In Review Appendix - Other TV

Alright, so it occurred to me that I only talked about Doctor Who as if that was the only programme of 2018 (it’s the only that counts at any given time anyway, we all know that). There was some other stuff that I very much enjoyed and I am going to tell you about that as well. Given that Is pent a lot of time watching films (and also rewatching some series I hadn’t watched for a long while), I didn't get through as much TV as I planned to - Killing Eve, The Handmaid’s Tale Season 2 and many others are all on the list - but here are some of the things I did watch.

The Good Place - Season 3
A tricky one this, hard to talk about it without spoiling it and it is definitely a show that rewards going in with zero knowledge and expectations. Suffice it to say that the third season continues to be enjoyable, largely in part to the cast who seem to be all genuinely enjoying being part of the show. Kudos in particular to Ted Danson who is in excellent form here.

Westworld - Season 2
I thoroughly enjoyed the first season with the sense of an unfolding mystery alongside the ruminations on what it means to be a sentient being. Given the revelations at the end of the last season, this season feels a little like it has had to go out of its way to be able to create a similar of surprise and it has been a little bit less successful in that regard. I’m also concerned that it’s going to go down the rabbit hole that Lost disappeared into. At the moment, though, I‘m still enjoying it and looking forward to season 3.

Legion - Season 2
Ostensibly a comic book series set within the X-Men universe, it’s a weird, stylised trippy show that is nothing like any other superhero film or TV series and all the better for it. Any show that features a psychic dance off battle with Jermaine Clement and Aubrey Plaza has got to be worth a watch.

Disenchantment
After The Simpsons and Futurama, Matt Groening is at it again with this new animated sitcom set in a medieval fantasy world. It’s a grower, this one. A bit shaky in the early eps but turning into compelling viewing by the final few eps, I’m intrigued to see where this one is going when it comes back this year (plus it’s got Matt Berry whose plummy voice improves most things).

Mortimer And Whitehouse: Gone Fishing
This was the surprise hit of the year for me. Two old friends going on various fishing trips and chatting rubbish/winding each other along the way. On paper, it feels like it shouldn't work but I loved every minute of it. It’s been commissioned for a second series and I can't wait.

So there you go - some other stuff what was nice in 2018. OK, that definitely is it for looking back at next year. Hey, don’t knock it, it’s got me nearly halfway through this month in terms of posts. Box ticked.




No comments: