Monday 8 January 2018

Funny For Your Eyes And Ears

I know I said that I wasn’t going to do a whole review of stuff what was good in 2017 and that I was just going to limit myself to films but, given that I then reviewed some podcasts and am now going to talk about some of the comedy of the year, I’ve basically sneaked in a review of 2017 into the early days of 2018. Well, it’s my blog, I can do what I bloomin’ well like.

I’m a massive sci fi nerd, that much we have established, but I’m equally (if not more so) a massive comedy nerd. So here are some comedy things what have me do some laughing recently.

Taskmaster
Having recently completed Series 5 and a Champion Of Champions 2-parter for Christmas, this is showing no signs of losing its appeal. It’s the simplicity of this one that works - comedians do silly things, best thing wins - combined with a chance to develop a sense of who they are over the course of the series by keeping the same guests for the whole run. Also, the fact that they don’t know what the tasks are means that they can't rely on prepared material and produces some genuinely surprising results sometimes.

Detectorists
I came late to the party on this BBC4 gem, discovering it just as the third and final series was due to air. It’s a lovely, warm, gentle series but no less funny for its gentleness. There’s genuine affection for this bunch of metal-detecting misfits and at no time does the humour ever mock them for their obsession. Absolutely loved it and the last series leaves everything in a very satisfying place - I’ll miss it but hope they don’t go back as there isn’t any more that really needs to be said.

Red Dwarf XII
Ah, the old familiar crossover between sci fi and comedy. Somehow a comedy series that is approaching it’s 30th anniversary (30 years old this year) feels like it shouldn't still be funny. Yet somehow, over the last three series, Doug Naylor seems to have rediscovered the character-based comedy that made it funny in the first place and produced something that has provoked some genuine chuckles. An impressive feat for something that’s been around as long as Red Dwarf.

The Good Place
Entering its second year, this comedy from one of the producers of the US Office and creator of Parks And Recreation is a real surprise. It’s funny but also surprising, using a Lost-style cliffhanger at the end of every episode to draw you in (without the ludicrously convoluted and made up as it went along back story of Lost). To say too much about the show would spoil it but it’s definitely a current favourite.

Gameface
Roisin Conaty of Man Down fame writes and stars about a single actress struggling her way through life. It’s funny and engaging and Conaty, having played support in Man Down for several years, shows she is more than capable of carrying her own show. Hoping this one gets a second series.

Fleabag
This has to be the highlight of the year. I didn’t really know much about it so didn’t know what to expect - what I got was a sitcom that was funny, filthy and heartfelt. Phoebe Waller-Bridge, who writes and stars as the titular but unnamed character, is fantastic - I’m a big fan of the takes-to-camera style of comedy and she is great at it. With this and Gameface, 2017 was a strong year for British female comedians.

So give some or all of those a try if you haven’t already. Might well just tickle a funny bone or two.

No comments: