Monday 15 January 2018

Fulla Filmy Goodness

Frequently at this time of year, I make an attempt to watch a number of the Golden Globe and Oscar-nominated film fare in order to see what all the fuss is about. More often than not, I discover that the films that are nominated are not necessarily the best films of the year. So I trawled through a number of Best Of 2017 film lists (with, naturally, an emphasis on the cult and the indie) to pick out the ones that sounded interesting and here’s what i think of the ones what I have watched so far. Think of it as a public service - I’m watching these so you’re more armed about whether to bother with them or not.

Good Time
In A Nutshell:- 70s-influenced crime-goes-wrong drama
Any Good? I’ve never been a huge fan of Robert Pattinson but, playing a criminal who tries to rescue his mentally-challenged brother from jail following a heist gone wrong, I found him to be pretty engaging. The film has a 70s feel to it - not in look or visual design per se, but in the music, titling and editing - and that works in its favour to make it stand out a little. I enjoyed it and, at 99 minutes, it doesn’t outstay its welcome.

Raw
In A Nutshell:- Vegetarian becomes obsessed with consuming raw flesh.
Any Good? The word “horror” when it comes to films usually brings to mind something supernatural in origin. There’s nothing supernatural in this French film but it is certainly horrific and stomach-churning in places. I would say that it’s a good film but I don’t know if it’s an enjoyable film to watch. I can definitely see why this made a lot of the best film lists - it has a distinctive feel to it.

Super Dark Times
In A Nutshell:- Nerdy teens in the early 90s are involved in a gruesome accident
Any Good? Plot-wise, this may not be the most surprising of films but the strong cast and suitably moody direction carry it through. I was thoroughly engaged through to the end, even if the ending does feel slightly formulaic.

The Lure
In A Nutshell:- 80s themed Polish horror musical about man-eating mermaids
Any Good? Whether it’s any good or not is almost irrelevant after that nutshell description, isn’t it? It’s certainly unique and worth a watch as you’re unlikely to have seen anything quite like it. Part 80s musical, part fairy tale, part gory horror, it certainly has its own vision. For me, the ending felt a little choppy and rushed (some narrative leaps that are glossed over) but it certainly was unlike anything else.

Lucky
In A Nutshell? A healthy 90-year old man comes to the realisation that his life is near to its end
Any Good? The late, great Harry Dean Stanton’s last film is given added poignancy by this fact and, with the cast featuring former co-star Tom Skerritt and director David Lynch, there’s an added sense of this being a farewell performance. It’s a slow gentle examination of an atheist coming to terms with the end of his life and there’s a nicely odd feel to it - not quite David Lynch but you can see why the director has agreed to play a role in the film. Definitely worth a watch but don’t go in expecting action and incident.

That’s what I’ve watched so far - there are a few more on the list so I’ll tell you about them once I’ve watched them. Can't really tell you about them before I’ve watched them, can I? (Hmm, although maybe that’s an idea for a blog - I describe a film’s plot from just the title and see how close I get… I’ll let that one stew away a bit maybe.)

No comments: