Wednesday 17 February 2010

What's In A Name?

Do you ever get the feeling that sometimes a person's career path is determined by their name? For example, my surname should really lead to me being involved in the Scottish clergy in some way or maybe the rugged and intrepid captain of a 24th century starship*. I'm not either of those things, obviously, as a) I have no religious inclinations whatsoever, and b) I'm not a fictional character** but that was just to illustrate my point. For you see, there is an establishment in Twickenham whose name beggars belief.

It's a firm that seems to have have been in the area for some time and I'm sure it's a respectable firm. It just strikes me as odd that no one involved in the set-up of this company thought, "Hey, hang on, maybe this isn't the most of inviting of names for the line of business that we're in? I mean, sure, the first part is an accurate description of a part of what is involved in the process but do people really want to be reminded of the second part?"

Personally, I like it. I think I may consider their services myself as I think it would amuse me. Of course, I don't intend to need them for quite some considerable time. So what is the name of this place?


WAKE AND PAINE
FUNERAL DIRECTORS



* No, not the baldy one from Yorkshire (Sir Baldy from Yorkshire now), the one before that.


** No, seriously, I am actually real. I've checked.


4 comments:

MJenks said...

My last name was derived from a form of "John".

I guess that means that I should spend my life banging whores?

Can I get paid for that???

Lady Euphoria Deathwatch said...

Hi Baldy,

My Ex had a Phys Ed teacher named Jim Socc. It was his legal name too. Gym Sock.

And a chiropractor down the street was Doctor Handwerk.

Love the Mortician's sign.

Lady Euphoria

Irish Gumbo said...

Mjenks made me snort!

I checked my names once, and my middle name supposedly meant "Arm and sword of the Lord" in Hebrew or something like it.

I suppose it's never too late to make a career change.

If they were in my neck of the woods, I think I would use them, too...but not for a long, long time...

That Baldy Fella said...

MJenks - Well, if that's your calling, then you'll just have to, won't you?

Lady E - Jim Socc. That. Is. Genius.

IG - Well, my first name means "leader" so if, by name, I'm the leader of the church, I think that makes a strong case for me taking over as next Pope. OK, true, the atheism may be a slight setback but nobody's perfect...