Friday 8 October 2021

BFI London Film Festival (LFF) 2021 - Back Once Again With The Film Behaviour

Oh, hi there. Yes, this was once a blog that was updated on a (relatively) regular basis. What happened this year, you ask? Well, leaving aside that whole global pandemic thing (mainly because that didn't seem to impact frequency a hell of lot last year), I’ve mainly spent my time pursuing my new obsession of getting into stand up* and, as of writing, have passed the 60 gig mark (giving it some welly / colossal waste of time - delete as to your view on the merits of the life of an aspiring stand up**). There’s probably a set of posts in that at some point (I’ve mined everything else on here, after all) but, for now, it’s time to return to one of the stalwart seasons of posts round this here titchy corner of the internet. Yes, it’s time for…


The London Film Festival 2021

Hurrah! And maybe even woop woop! (I’m a fairly even tempered / borderline stoic type so choose your own expression of glee.)


In Actual Cinemas
Yep, last year I forewent the few in-person screenings that were running and stuck solely to the small screen but I have gone full pelt back into it again this year. In fact, this week will not only be a ludicrous number of trips to the cinema across 12 days but will also be the first time I’ve set foot inside a cinema since March 2020. Am I nervous? A little - I’m both double-jabbed and have already had COVID so am relatively unlikely to catch it (not impossible though) and have spent time in small poorly ventilated areas with other people while attending open mic gigs (a likely cause of me catching COVID) but there’s still a small psychological hesitancy about it. Maybe I should take it easy as we are still in the midst of a pandemic but the BFI is mandating mask wearing during screenings and has installed new aircon in its own screens so I’m relatively happy that the most is being done.

Not Just Film
I tend to eschew the TV screenings in favour of the film ones as it is a film festival after all (and I can be snobbish like that sometimes) but I have made a major exception this year - I’m booked in to see the first two episodes of the new series of Succession and am very much looking forward to it. As for the rest of the list, I was tempted to give you the lot now but I think I’ll hold off and let them be a surprise as they arrive. I’m only watching a couple of the major releases - as per usual, I’ve gone with my gut instinct and tried to pick the stuff that sounds interesting, odd or quirky in the main as this technique has served me well in the past.

On Reviewing
A note about the reviews here - in general, I’m trying these days to only review stuff that I enjoy (as there is more than enough negativity, well, everywhere really) but I am going to post reviews of all the films I'm watching and chances are that there will be some that I don’t like. In every case, I’m going to try and say something positive about the film regardless and always remember that these reviews are just my opinion anyway - you may well enjoy what I do not.

Just The LFF?
Will this blog thingy carry on past the Film Fest? Ah, who can say? Let’s face it, there’s plenty of people punting their ill-informed opinions out into the internet on a daily basis so one more won’t be missed if it quietly vanishes again. At the very least, this exercise in mental muscle flexing will see out the fest so that the two of you who look at these posts can get your annual fix.

Alright then, let’s go stare at the screen and then type about that staring (with added listening too)...







* Huh, I guess all those aimless witterings about comedy and dissections of my comedy archeology really were building up to something after all. Who knew?

** Ten months in and it still feels somewhat surreal to refer to myself as a stand up or comedian but that is what I am now. Mad.


No comments: