Thursday 5 September 2019

WatchSeeLookView At The Theatre - Fleabag

I’ve talked before about how great I think Fleabag is so it should come as no surprise that I joined the frantic throng that took to the web in a desperate attempt to get tickets when the “last ever, no really” performances of the original play/monologue were announced by Phoebe Waller-Bridge. What was surprising was that I managed to get tickets. So I went to it.

Play Vs Television
There are some differences between the theatre version and the TV version, naturally enough. The theatrical version is considerably shorter, clocking in at just over an hour while the first series (which uses the play as its basis) tops the two and half hour mark*. There are some characters who don’t really feature much - the father gets a couple of mentions and the evil stepmother is mentioned in passing a couple of times but form a much bigger component of the series. There’s a recurring customer who features in the play and not in the series whereas other elements (the stolen statue, the silent retreat, etc.) are solely part of the TV show.

The Show Itself
It’s simply staged with a chair on a raised platform and some lighting and sound effects but the staging is not the important thing. This is a piece about writing and about performance. From the moment she comes to the moment she leaves the stage, Phoebe Waller-Bridge has the audience held. Sure, you could argue that there’s an element of fandom to most of the audience but it’s a strongly written piece with an assured and confident performance to back it up. Even if you hadn’t seen the show, I’d imagine it would be impossible not to be swept up in it. 
I was particularly interested to see how it would play out in front of an audience given that there isn’t one (understandably enough) for the TV version. Waller-Bridge certainly knows how to play an audience - stringing out a look or a silence until absolute breaking point before delivering a killer line or switching tones effortlessly without losing the crowd. It’s an extremely funny show, sure, but the emotional climax provoked gasps of surprise from the audience (there are some differences to the TV version).

The Verdict
It was great - funny and emotional in equal measure with a powerhouse performance from Phoebe Waller-Bridge (including some really very filthy mime). Definitely glad that I got to see this one in person. Or, if my sister-in-law ever sees this who didn't some along with my brother and me as I could only get two tickets, it was shit.


Aan Afternote Note On People
I feel like we might have to start giving people some basic training on how to behave in the theatre. At one point, I actually had to ask the two women in front of me to stop bloody talking. I came to theatre to listen to PWB, not their inane chatter. They did shut up but I shouldn't even have to say that in the first place. This was compounded by someone’s phone alarm going off for nearly two minutes during the most emotional part of the play. Just a little bit of thought for other people, here. A live event like this is a shared experience. Your shitty behaviour could spoil it for someone else. Don’t be a prick. There, rant over, as you were.


*The episodes are around 25 mins each - slightly short for a BBC show and more like an American one.



No comments: