Friday 22 October 2010

Refocus

So, those few of you kind enough to stick around and come back to read after my three month hiatus (I thank you kindly) may well have noticed a distinct theme emerging in the last set of posts. Part of the reason for the long break was that I was struggling to find something to say in these posts and was running the risk of just repeating myself ad infinitum - either in terms of constantly banging on about the stuff I like or in terms of constantly writing about having nothing to write about. So I stopped. And left it. And came close to knocking the whole blogging thing on the head as there's nothing worse than someone just churning out crap for the sake of it.

Then, over the summer, I discovered a rather wonderful podcast (which I wholeheartedly recommend) called The Tobolwsky Files in which character actor Stephen Tobolowsky talks about his life. Fortunately, he knows exactly how to craft a rather wonderful story and has lived an extremely fascinating life. Now, I don't claim to have lived a fascinating life (although I have done some interesting things from time to time) but my family have certainly done interesting things and led interesting lives (for better and for worse) and it got me thinking. If I don't tell some of those stories, if I don't write some of them somewhere, then those stories are gone. And there's nothing worse than a story that got away.

So, for the time being (until my notoriously fickle attention span wanders off on to something else) I'm going to talk about my family and my life and make sure that those stories don't go. It won't be particularly ordered, it won't be particularly chronological, it'll flit about about hither and thither and back and forth but maybe it'll ultimately add up to something greater than the sum of its parts. Maybe not but I reckon it's worth a try.

That's also not to say that you won't still get the occasional uninformed and bile-ridden rambling - this is a blog after all. Just that those'll probably be fewer and farther between.

Right then, let's see what's in here....


2 comments:

Simon B said...

Sounds good, Nick! Keep up the great work!!

That Baldy Fella said...

Cheers, squire! You keep readin' 'em, I'll keep writin' 'em...