Thursday 5 November 2020

WatchSeeLookView At The LFF 2020 - The Intruder / Gold For Dogs

Yes, it’s two films bundled together again so it can only mean that it’s two that I have less to say about. I don’t want to just skip films that didn't necessarily float my boat but I’m not going to spend a lot of time on them either.

The Intruder
Dir.
Natalia Meta / Dur. 95 mins
Strand:- Dare

In A Nutshell:- A voice actress begins to suffer from nightmares and wonders if there’s something more sinister going on…

The Verdict:- The Italian “Giallo” film (gruesome murder mystery/thrillers of the type personified by directors like Dario Argento) is a genre that I’ve only recently started to get into so it’s probably a little soon for me to fully appreciate an homage to that style of filmmaking. It not only suffers from being superficially similar in set up to Berberian Sound Studio (which also focuses on a sound artist slowly losing their mind) but, for me, it all felt a little bit too disjointed and fractured so that, by the end, I didn't even really realise that was all there was until the final number kicked in. Sadly, this one was a miss for me.


Gold For Dogs
Dir.
Anna Cazenave Cambet / Dur. 95 mins
Strand:- Journey

In A Nutshell:- A young girl travels to Paris to be with her summer romance but things don’t go as she planned…

The Verdict:- It’s perhaps a little unfair to lump this one in with The Intruder as I did enjoy it somewhat but it still didn’t satisfy overall. It starts off as a fairly standard tale of summer romance which is no bad thing as it’s fairly lively and beautifully shot. Following the switch to the big city, it follows the predictable route of lead character Esther being spurned by the boy she followed but then pivots in a slightly different direction which is to its credit. However, this change of tack robs the film of any momentum and, as the film meanders towards its end, I found myself losing more and more interest unfortunately. The cast are on fine form, particularly Talullah Cassavetti as Esther, but it wasn’t enough to save it for me sadly.





No comments: