Wednesday 22 January 2020

Not A Very Naughty Boy

Today saw the announcement of the passing of Terry Jones following a long battle with primary progressive aphasia, a form of dementia. I didn’t know him personally but, given that I spent all of last September watching and then writing about Monty Python, it would odd if I didn't mention him. There are those out there who knew him and will pay heartfelt tribute to him. All I’m going to do is highlight some of the comedy moments which have stuck with me and influenced me over the years.


  • The indignation and spillage when he slams down his pint following Eric Idle’s constant insinuations during the “Nudge, Nudge” sketch
  • Almost constantly playing a ludicrous caricature of a woman (who, by his own account, increasingly resembled his own mother as he got older…)
  • Sir Bedevere’s bizarre accent (and inexplicable inability to say “Ni”) along with his tortured logic in demonstrating how, if a woman weighs the same as a duck, she is therefore a witch
  • The fact that his direction in Life Of Brian gives the film the look and feel of a biblical epic rather than a comedy which helps to sell the humour so much more
  • Playing Brian’s mother, Mandy (yes, that is her name), not only for the much quoted “Not the messiah” line but also for a line that constantly sits in my head:- “There is an animal called a balm. Or did I dream it?”
  • Managing to be almost as quoted for playing the disgusting and exploding Mr Creosote in Meaning Of Life (the phrase “it’s only wafer-thin” - ensuring of course that you pronounce the word “wafer” as “waffer” - being used whenever someone has eaten their fill)
  • His historical and mythological children's books, including Erik The Viking
  • Pretty much the entirety of Ripping Yarns which he created post-Python with his good mate Michael Palin
  • And finally, the fact that he and Michael Palin remained close friends all the way through to the end.


RIP Mr Jones. Thanks for all the laughs.




2 comments:

Diane said...

I've been reading through old blog posts and comments, generally missing "the old days" (which makes me sound ancient, which is pretty much how I feel these days), and checking to see who's still out there in Bloggyland... and you're still out there!! I'm blogging at a new place now but Diane's Addled Ramblings will always hold a piece of my heart. I hope you'll pop in again... I've missed your Nick Nackery!

That Baldy Fella said...

Hello! Ah, thanks for that - I stopped for about 6 years(!) but suddenly pulled myself back into it again. Just to keep the old grey matter going (as much as it goes). Will come and check out the new spot...