Thursday 8 August 2019

Comedy Archeology - So Much Stuff

This seems like a good point to take a hiatus from these. I’m such a ludicrous comedy obsessive that, the more I write, the more I realise that this could just run and run and run until really I’m the only one that’s got any interest left in what’s being spat out onto the page here. There are a lot of key things that I still haven’t covered off. If I do come back to it, here are some of the things that I’ve missed out.

- Stand up throughout the years; live and pre-recorded; favourites seen live including Bill Bailey, Ross Noble, Harry Hill, Eddie Izzard, Greg Davies, Daniel Kitson plus more
- More classic 80s comedies like The Princess Bride, Back To The Future*, Bill And Ted’s Excellent Adventure
- 90s comedy films - Groundhog Day, There’s Something About Mary, Austin Powers, The Big Lebowski
- Overlooked comedy shows - Chelmsford 123, Mr Don And Mr George, Fairly Secret Army, Paul Merton: The Series, Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- Silly for the sake of being silly - Reeves & Mortimer, The Mighty Boosh, Adult Swim
- Trey Parker & Matt Stone - Alfred Packer: The Musical, South Park, Orgazmo, BASEketball, Team America, The Book Of Mormon
- Cartoons of the 90s - Rocko’s Modern Life, Johnny Bravo, Ren And Stimpy, The Tick
- Comic novels - PG Wodehouse, Sue Townsend, David Nobbs, Tom Sharpe
- Classic American sitcoms - Cheers, MASH, Roseanne, Soap, Frasier
- Comedy songs - Flight Of The Conchords, Tenacious D, Weird Al Yankovic, Vivian Stanshall, Neil Innes

And many, many , many more. For everything I write up there, I’m probably leaving out two other things that I’ve enjoyed / have had just as much of an impact on me. If you’ve been wondering, “Why hasn’t he mentioned ?”, it may well be on the list up there. If it isn’t then it’s egregiously slipped my mind. Don’t worry, it may well come up when I eventually get round to covering all these topics. 

(Disclaimer:- The above list does not constitute a guarantee that any of these things may well eventually be written about and any expectations raised upon said list are entirely the responsibility of the reader)


* Hmm, the more I’ve been saying that sci fi and comedy is tricky to mix, the more I’m finding excellent examples of it.



No comments: