Tuesday 9 October 2018

WatchSeeLookView Month - Eighth Grade (2018)

So I’ve themed the odd week here and there but a whole month? I’ve never gone that far before. It’s a big ‘un. Could this be the straw that broke the camel’s back? (Not that I’m comparing you to a camel, Dear Reader - at least, not directly anyway.) It could well be. The underlying reason, though, is that I’m lined up to see a large number of films (and one TV series) at the upcoming London Film Festival and, as there’ll be plenty of material coming out of that one, why not go the whole hog? (I’m not sure why there’s excessive animal-based imagery today, just go with it.)

The films reviewed over the coming selection of weeks will run the gamut from mainstream crowd-pleaser to arthouse audience alienator so there should be something for everyone, really. It will include but not be limited to a new Terry Gilliam film, a musical, a Coen Brothers series and some fresh Nicolas Cage insanity. Firstly, though, let’s kick this bad boy off with an independent film that I managed not to see at the Raindance Film Festival earlier in the year despite seeing a talk from the director (as discussed here), shall we? (That was rhetorical, I’m afraid, you don’t have any choice, that’s what I’m going to do anyway.)





Eighth Grade (2018)
Dir. Bo Burnham / Dur. 94 mins

In a nutshell:- A week in the life of a socially awkward teenage girl as she finishes eighth grade.*

The Good:- Given that it’s written by a man in his late twenties, the film feels like it does a fairly genuine job of conveying the awkwardness and general cringe-iness of being a teenage girl who doesn’t quite fit in (as near as a man in his forties - me - is able to judge that anyway). In large part, I would say that’s down to the central performance by Elsie Fisher who seems to be completely unafraid to show herself looking out of place and vulnerable - and apparently also helped to tailor the script to her own speech patterns and mannerisms (her odd “Gucci” sign off to her vlogs being something she was observed doing on set). She’s aided by Josh Hamilton as her supportive but equally clueless single father - the relationship between the two of them providing some of the stand out moments of the film. Social media and its impact are also handled in a fairly realistic fashion - unsurprising seeing as writer/director Bo Burnham started out as a YouTube-based comedian.

The Bad:- If I have one criticism, it’s that it falls into a slightly stereotypical trope of “lusting after the hot one but ultimately going with the other nerdy one” but it’s very minor criticism and in no way spoiled my enjoyment of the film.

The Verdict:- An enjoyable low-budget comedy-drama driven by a compelling central performance by Elsie Fisher - definitely one to watch for the future. I’d also be keen to see what Bo Burnham does next as a writer/director - it’s a remarkably assured and confident debut feature.

Tomorrow:- More film stuff. Did you not see the bit at the top about this being a theme?


* Sidenote:- As a result of going to a private school (nope, I’m not that posh, the parents struggled to send me there), I can't equate grades / years. My first year was 3rd Form followed by Lower 4th, Upper 4th, etc. Tell me you’re in Year 9 and that means nothing to me (oh, Vienna). 

No comments: