Monday 25 August 2008

A New Beginning

Introduction #1 - The New Reader

Hello, I'm Nick. Nice to meet you, yes. I suppose I should give you a proper welcome, really. Willkommen, bienvenue and hearty felicitations to you, my new inter-web friend. This here selection of blog-style writings promises to be rambling, meandering, wittering and aimless in a simultaneous fashion. And if that doesn't entice you in then I'll probably just start handing out fivers round about the third post.* Feel free to skip the next paragraph and head on down the page - that's for any old-timers lurking about.

Introduction #2 - The MySpace Reader

Yes, well, that was the shortest retirement from the world of blogging ever, wasn't it? Although technically I haven't contradicted myself. It was more a resignation from one site and a new post at another. The MySpace blog is dead, it has ceased to be, it is an ex...well, you get where I'm going with that one. It's just always the way that, as soon as you tell yourself you're not going to do something anymore, it becomes the only thing you want to do. Psychology - tricky blighter, eh? Maybe I'll become a sort of Littlest Hobo of the blogging world (only without the neckerchief and with just the two legs), moving from site to site once that voice keeps on calling me, down the road that's where I'll always be.... There we go, I'm digressing already. Like putting on a comfortable pair of old shoes, isn't it?


Anyhoo, old and new, we're all here. So what's today's selection of reasonably random ramblings? Well, I've been thinking about thinking recently. I know that seems like a somewhat circular pastime which may well lead to migraining of the head and eventually bleeding of the nose but I can't help it. I'm a thinker. My mind tends to get caught up in little digressions and dialogues all of it's own. We all do it. We all have those moments where we find ourselves imagining how a conversation will go / should have gone / could have oh-so-much better if only I'd said that. And we all have those moments where we imagine someone asking us something so that we can launch into a fabulously well-informed mini-lecture on our favourite subject which will both scintillate and fascinate (come on, I know I'm not the only one who does it). I'm more thinking about those moments between all those thoughts that somehow link them from one to the next that take you from, say, a mini internal critique of the film you've just watched through to wondering if the back window is open all via
I've been trying to trace my trains of thought and it's a tricky beast. Mainly because once you start thinking about trying to keep track of your thought flow, you're no longer just going through - you're now influencing it's direction. Yep, I think I'm heading into migraine territory...

All of which is to say that most posts in these here pages will very probably meander along like the twists and turns of a small river until they very suddenly reach a dam.

Like this one.

No change there then, some of you are thinking. Whether that's a good or a bad thing is entirely a matter for you to decide...



*Disclaimer: Under no circumstances should the previous statement be seen as a binding contract for the distribution of fivers between That Baldy Fella Blogging Industries and the reader.


No comments: