Sunday 11 October 2020

WatchSeeLookView At The LFF 2020 - Honeymood

Day Three begins and… well, it was bound to happen at some point.

Honeymood
Dir.
Talya Lavie / Dur. 90 mins
Strand:- Laugh

In A Nutshell:- A couple’s wedding night is disrupted by the gift of a ring from the groom’s ex which leads them to trek out onto the streets of Jerusalem…

The Good:- I’m not going to lie, this bit is a bit of a struggle to kick off as I just did not enjoy the film at all. I’ll say that, to its credit, the cast are strong and fully commit to their roles and the film makes a credible stab at trying to create rounded out characters rather than one dimensional rom-com style caricatures. Groom Noam’s parents are an enjoyable couple even if his mother does lean somewhat heavily into overprotective stereotyping.

The Bad:- I just didn’t like the main characters pretty much from the off and so found the whole thing increasingly tiresome as it dragged on, with the pair of them stretching out this night in the city. For me, it wasn’t anywhere near as charming as it thought it was and, as it veered close to farce, it really lost me. I’m a bit fussy about farce / cringe humour - there have to be characters I’m really invested in for me to get through the cringe moments and there wasn’t that for me here. I’m a big musical fan (as I’ve no doubt banged on about on here before) and not even the presence of a sudden song and dance number could save this me - partly because it came out of nowhere and partly because it was hot and lit so horribly that it looked like it had been lifted from a cheap TV movie.

The Verdict:- Sadly, a proper miss for me on this one. It’s a shame because, this year, the two strands that I like to see quite few entries each from (Laugh and Cult) have got three entries each (yes, I am booked for all three in each strand) so it’s disappointing when one of them turns out not to be that great. Still, this is part of the joy of the festival - for every duffer, there’s several that are great. Which, as it turns out, is a nice segue into our next entry...




No comments: