Monday 30 December 2019

Review Of 2019 Pt 4 - Small Screen Stuff

I’ve already talked about some of the female-led TV comedy that graced our screens this year but there were a number of other shows that were worth some attention this year.

The Mandolorian
Look, I wasn’t going to let the year go by without writing something about this (which, of course, I haven’t seen as it’s not available in the UK yet but if I had seen it, this is what I might write about it - phew, I think that’s covered that). I’ll probably write something in more detail about it  in the New Year but, for now, I have to say that it is absolutely worth the watch. Being the first live action Star Wars series, there was a lot riding on it but Jon Favreau has wisely used the familiar elements of the Star Wars universe to craft something new and separate from the main Skywalker saga. This is the direction that Star Wars needs to move in.

The Magicians
I just discovered this series this year and binge watched all four series. It’s gets the “Harry Potter but a bit more grown up” comparison a lot (which isn’t wildly off the mark) but is much weirder, ruder and filthier than that sounds. It’s a good fun series - not perfect as it does have some issues in the way that it treats and characterises characters who suffer abuse but still enjoyable overall. One of those series that seems to be flying under the radar.

Watchmen
This was a real surprise. I genuinely wasn’t expecting much from this - after the film adaptation, I wasn't convinced that the world needed another version of something that doesn’t necessarily translate from its original medium. After all, the original comic was a deconstruction of superhero comics at the time. Wisely, though, the series steered away from being a straight adaptation, using the comic as the backstory and crafting its own storyline set in modern times and being as much a commentary on racism as on current superhero pop culture. Surprisingly enjoyable, weird and stylish.

The Boys
Given that the superhero film had been dominating the box office (and the small screen with the Arrow-verse series and the various Marvel efforts) for the best part of a decade, we’re now at a point where there’s enough of a common language that we can start picking it apart. While Watchmen may have been gently pulling at those threads, The Boys lobs a stick of dynamite at them and revels in the destruction. I enjoyed this far more that I thought I would and it’s one of those adaptations that actually improves on the original - while still fairly extreme, the series feels a little more nuanced than the comic version. I’m definitely on board for season 2.

This Time With Alan Partridge
It’s been a while since he’s graced terrestrial television but it was good to have Steve Coogan’s back again and in a format that was perfectly suited to him. Being a One Show style host in a pure Partridge place to be and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing back on the small screen again.

Succession
Even though it’s on its second season, I only discovered this one this year. I’m still watching my way through season 2 but I’m confident enough in what I’ve seen so far that I'm happy to put this on here as one of the shows, if not the show, of the year. Following the backstabbing and various machinations of a Murdoch-style media dynasty, it’s utterly compelling. Every member of this family is dreadful in their own way yet they each have enough of a shred of humanity to keep you watching. It's an impressive achievement from Peep Show co-creator Jesse Armstrong and I’m looking forward to finishing off the rest of the season.




No comments: