Friday 15 March 2019

WatchSeeLookView - The Young Offenders

Netflix recommendations are sometimes a strange thing. At times, it’s pretty clear why the algorithm has suggested that you might like something based upon previous viewing. At other times, you inexplicably get suggested The Gilmore Girls*. Sometimes, though, it gets it just right. Case in point…

The Young Offenders (2016)
Dir. Peter Foott / Dur. 85 mins

I realise that I’m probably late to the party on this one given that it turns out that this was made into a BBC series last year (which is definitely on my “To Watch” list now) but this is the original Irish film that kicked it all off. The film follows the misadventures of teenage layabouts Conor and Jock who embark upon a get-rich-quick scheme on a pair of stolen bikes.

The Good:- It’s a film that’s based around the chemistry between its two main leads, played by Alex Murphy (Conor) and Chris Walley (Jock) - fortunately, the interplay between the pair of them is great. For me, the best scenes involved just the two of them having a conversation with each other which perfectly highlight the small scale dreams of small town teenagers. It’s a good combination of writing and directing alongside pitch perfect performances from Murphy and Walley. It’s got a few genuine laugh out loud moments too in amongst the general amusement. The supporting cast are good as well but the film is largely carried by the two main leads. There are some darker moments in amongst the comedy too, particularly around Jock’s relationship with his abusive father.

The Bad:- Not bad as such but it’s ultimately a feelgood comedy so you do know that everything will turn out alright for them in the end. Also, the relationship with the abusive father feels a little bit undercooked and the resolution in voiceover feels like a little bit of a brush off for it. These are minor complaints though.

The Verdict:- I went in with no real expectations and I thoroughly enjoyed this. I feel a little bit like there has somewhat of a dearth of decent comedy films in recent years so it’s good to find a thoroughly enjoyable gem of a film out there (especially in the hit-and-miss quality wilds of the streaming world). Plus any film that sets its climactic scene to Where’s Me Jumper? By The Sultans Of Ping has got to be worth a watch. Time to watch the series...



* Look, I’m not bashing. I’ve never seen it and I wouldn't imagine it’s my sort of thing. I just don’t get what I might have watched that says that’s the next thing on the list for me.





No comments: